FES (Functional Electrical Stimulation) is one of the most advanced Neuro Rehabilitation treatment technologies available in world. And we have proud to introduce it for 1st time in India at Hope Neuro Rehab for maximum advantage and recovery of neurological/ paralytic patients.
What is FES (Functional Electrical Stimulation)?
FES is a technique that utilizes patterned electrical stimulation of neural tissue with the purpose of restoring or enhancing a lost or diminished function.
It produces contractions in paralysed muscles by the application of small pulses of electrical stimulation to nerves that supply the paralysed muscle. The stimulation is controlled in such a way that the movement produced provides useful function.
FES is used as a tool to assist walking and also as a means of practicing various functional movements for therapeutic benefit.
FES may be used to replace the natural electrical signals from the brain, helping the weak or paralyzed limbs move again. With continued stimulation over time, the brain may even be able to recapture and relearn this movement without the stimulation.
At LAKSHYA Neuro Rehab, specialized FES trained Neuro Physiotherapists give this advanced treatment to neurological patients to regain their lost movement control and function such as walking, step up –down, hand function etc.
Who can use FES System?
FES System can be effective where movement has been lost due to nerve injury / disease within the brain or spinal cord. This is called an upper motor neuron lesion. If you are experiencing foot drop (drop foot), paralysis or paresis as a result of a Stroke, Multiple Sclerosis, Traumatic Brain Injury or Spinal Cord Injury, you may benefit by using FES System. The FES System is also used by clinicians as an adjunct treatment tool for Neuro rehabilitation.
Upper motor neuron injuries or conditions such as:
Cerebral Palsy (CP)
Incomplete spinal cord injury
Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
familial / hereditary spastic paraparesis
Other central nervous system injuries
Applications of Functional Electrical Stimulation
- To correct hemiplegic gait/ circumductory gait
- Sit to stand training
- Pre gait training
- Facilitation of Quadriceps, Hamstrings, Ankle dorsiflexors during appropriate phase of gait cycle- open chain and close chain muscle control
- To correct Foot Drop
- To train for Shoulder and Hand function
- For Shoulder Subluxation
- Gait training for paraplegia-incomplete SCI
- FES along with body weight supported treadmill training (BWSTT)
- FES with Spastic Hand Splint
- Used with pediatric population.
What are the benefits of using FES System ?
Regular use of the FES System will give:
Improved ground clearance
● Reduced tripping and falls
● Improves the position of the foot in weight bearing resulting in greater stability in stance
● Reduced effort of walking
● Reduced spasticity in the calf and quadriceps muscle
● Increased walking speed
● Heel strike with eversion
● Reduced compensatory movements such as hip hitching or circumduction (swing the leg out sideways)
● Greater walking range of mobility
● Greater safety, confidence and independence while walking
● Long term therapeutic benefit resulting in improved unaided walking
PLEASE NOTE: FES System is primarily meant for Upper motor neuron conditions. But recently preliminary reports have suggested its beneficial use in lower motor neuron conditions also. This is where the nerve that runs from the spinal cord to the muscle is damaged. This is the case in conditions such as:
● Peripheral nerve lesions
● Poliomyelitis (Polio)
● Motor neuron disease
● Guillain-Barre syndrome
Dr. Gargi Vyas:
In today’s society there is lack of awareness towards treatment of Neurological or paralytic patients. Still in society people perceive a paralytic person as stigma and many kids with disability are neglected and deprived of their rights, education and treatment.
So in an effort to help such kids and paralytic persons, we have come up with a therapy center where all treatments are available under roof.
At Lakshya Neuro Rehab we provide treatment which are advanced in field of physiotherapy and well recognized internationally.
Lakshya Neuro Rehab is unique combination of Advanced Treatment technology and Quality services for healthy and functional life.
At Lakshya We strive to provide best Neuro physiotherapy related treatment for maximum patient benefit.